
We went camping with some friends friday night on Antelope Island, which is out on the Salt Lake. It was pretty stinky down by the water but it was cool to see all the Bison roaming the island. We brought our bikes and went for a ride around part of the island and we toured the historic ranch that has been on the Island to maintain the animals since the late 1800's. The island was originally used by Brigham Young to keep the herds of the church. Ranchers lived on the island to maintain the animals and ownership has changed through the years. The Bison were brought there to rebuild the population after it had almost been extinguished by westward settlers. We were going to stay Saturday night too but left early because a storm was coming in and we were tired of being in the sun all day. I guess on day of fun was sufficient. Sorry I wish I had taken more pictures but I didn't bring my camera on the bike ride and Will and Rachel slept in the car while I toured the historic ranch. So I've only got pictures of the lake shore. I thought it was strange that we only saw two antelope since that is what the island is named for. I enjoyed our stay but Will was not very impressed so we probably won't go there again. It was good to experience it once though. now I can say that I have touched the great salt lake.
8.31.2008
Antelope Island
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gee Mel, I didn't know there was an Island there. The only time I've been in the Great Salt Lake was at the road side stop that looks like the building should be in Iran or something. I have been to parts of the water that are stinky. I don't think I've ever seen a Bison except in a zoo. I'm glad you got to get away for a day. Amanda and her friends got stuck in some of the hail today while they were hiking during their camp out. Why is my granddaughter crying?
Rachel was crying for a couple reasons: she wanted to play in the water but we wouldn't let her, it was hot and you might be able to tell that her face is getting red even though I had applied sunscreen twice already, and she had a really bad diaper rash. so it was a combination of things. oh and she didn't get a solid nap. it was just an eventful day.
Tell Rachel, Grandma Judd will find some warm water to let her play in when we come out for Christmas. Does that diaper cream help at all that I sent?
Post a Comment